Sunday, January 19, 2014

Rewind Backlog


I'm spending a lot of time these days catching up at church. No, I haven't fallen behind on prayer or Bible study. I'm spending my time during the week in the church balcony. That's where the audio/visual booth is located. Here's what it looks like. 

The centerpiece is the soundboard with a CD recorder, a multi-disc CD player, and a cassette player (yes, some  people still use them) on the left and a computer and a DVD player on the right. 



For the last 5 years or so I have had the privilege of being allowed to use the booth as a recording studio for my Rewind programs. 

"Ron Havens' Rewind" is the name I attach to the music programs I record as a hobby. Don't ask me why I do it. I just really enjoy it. I've been writing and recording them since the early 1990's. 

Over time they have changed. The early editions focused on the genres and history of my favorite music. The very first one was devoted to comedy/novelty songs like: Alan Sherman's "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" and Ray Stevens "The Streak" and others. 

 In 1999, when I moved to Kentucky, that changed. The scripts I wrote became more about personal history. The first one, with this new focus, was a musical memorial to my dad. 

Since 2010 I have only managed to have the time to record two Rewinds each year. So I do my best to make sure I get those done. The first one is a "soundtrack" show. It's the combination of the events of the year intertwined with the music that reminds me of them. It's a kind of audio scrapbook. 

Think of it as it being a autobiographical retrospective with a "Casey Kasem Top 40 countdown" style. 

The second Rewind I try to I complete is one that features the music devoted to the most wonderful time of the year, Christmas. 

In 2013 I wrote scripts for both of my Rewind shows. But life happened and I never made it to the sound booth to record either of them. 

So as the new year gets underway I am making a focused effort to get my backlog of scripts (the 2012 soundtrack and my 9th Christmas speical) recorded, edited and added to my Ron Havens Rewind program library. 

Once that's completed it's on to writing the 2013 soundtrack script and creating a recording set up at home. But it will not be the same as in the sound booth. For there I put down my recordings on CD, take them home, and then import them to the music library on my computer. 

So my goal is to digitally record my recordings directly onto the computer and do it at home. That way I can have a little more access so that this year's programs will be finished before 2015 arrives. 





No comments: