Thursday, February 27, 2014

Another SG Construction

A couple of years ago I posted about a trio of construction projects and a church expansion taking place simultaneously here in Smiths Grove. It was notable because it was a considerable amount of activity for the size of this little town. 

Now another building construction has started. When it's finished it will change the way people of the area shop for their groceries. 

Currently the only grocery store in "the grove" is an IGA store a half a block off main street. It is just across the street from the vet office where I take Angel. But that store is scheduled to close in a couple of months. 

The Shell gas station and convenience store that was on Main Street right next to the McDonald's (the one that was remodeled in 2011) has been torn down. The gas pumps have been removed as well. 

A new store called "Crossroads IGA" is currently being built. Here are some shots of the current construction. 




The new store will be bigger than a convenience store but smaller than the IGA that's open now. There will be a few more gas pumps than there was at the Shell station it's replacing. 

I think the company that owns both properties, Houchens Industries, is trying to duplicate the success of the Crossroads IGA store that's in Bowling Green; just off I-65 18 miles south at exit 26. 

But whatever the reason for the change I don't like it. For us the IGA grocery store is a close-to-home alternative to driving to 20 miles to Bowling Green to get groceries. We will miss it. 

In addition, once the new gas pumps are open the traffic on Main Street will increase. The 18 wheelers coming off the interstate, making a left turn into the truck stop (which is on the other side of the construction site) makes that area just off the highway difficult to negotiate at times. Now the cars coming off I-65 also turning cross traffic to that same side of the road is going to make it even more congested. 

Not anything to worry about for someone just passing through once but those of us who have to come off the highway and go through town two or more times a day it will be hassle. 

Once the Crossroads store opens the city or state highway department needs to mark the road and left hand turn lane better for those not familiar with the traffic pattern.   

Anyway, I promise I'll post pictures of the finished IGA project when the store opens in a couple of months.    

There you have the latest construction news for Smiths Grove. I wish I was telling you about a new nationally known restaurant or a major hotel chain building here but I can't. 

As busy as our I-65 exchange is here I don't know why either of those two things have not happened. I know nothing about property or business development. But I'm just a guy who lives in a ranch style house at the opposite end of town who writes a blog. 






No comments: