Thursday, February 20, 2014

House Projects For 2014

It happened a little early this year. Last Sunday night Paula and I filed our 2013 income tax returns. We now have a little bit of extra in our pockets. This brings us back to what we want to do with the rooms in our house.

Currently we have 3 rooms in our house that are being used for storage. Two of them are not intended to be use for that purpose. We want one of them to be our bedroom and the other to be Paula's office/reading/craft room. 

With some of our tax refund we can paint and redecorate at least one if not both of the rooms.

Last year we set up the room just off our kitchen to be used as a permanent storage room. Some of the things in the other two rooms will go to that room but most of it will not. 

So it's time to start cleaning out and sorting through the stuff in those rooms and get it out the door. Here's a shot of both of the rooms as they are today. 




One of the rooms used to be my son, Michael's bedroom. Most of the stuff that's in there is being stored for him. He moved out over 5 years ago. His lease on the space has expired. His stuff needs to go either to him or elsewhere. 

I got started on the clean up project yesterday and will be working on it on a daily basis until it's finished. The only thing that will hold me back is that I'm not the one who makes the final decision of the fate of most of the stuff, Paula is. 

I'm working under the "general order" not to throw anything away without her input. With her long work hours that makes progress on the clean up a little slower. 

But nevertheless, I'm determined that by the end of this year we will be in our new bedroom and the room where we sleep now will be our granddaughter's play/bedroom. (At this point I don't know if James or Brandi will ever let her spend the night but at least she'll have a place to take a nap or play with her toys when she visits)

It's yet another ambitious goal but it's for both of us. We've wanted to do this for the last 2 years. I'm not getting any younger and I want my house to be the way we can get the maximum enjoyment possible out of it. 





No comments: