Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My February 15

Like millions of others my resolution at the start of the year was to lose weight and get in better shape. I set a specific goal of losing 10 pounds a month. By all reasonable expectations that is a lofty goal. 

In January I reached my goal. A ten pound loss at the start of a diet is not unusual. Still I was pleased with my early success. However I knew I still had a long way to go.

Entering the 2nd month of the year I realized that there were events on the calendar that might be stumbling blocks in the road to my goal: Superbowl Sunday and Valentine's Day. 

I had to be very determined and focused in order to avert a couple of diet derailments and continue losing at the pace that I consider successful. 

I made it through both of the days that are traditionally filled with snack foods and candy with flying colors. I stayed home avoiding any dangerous Superbowl parties and managed to get through Valentine's Day without eating any candy.  

I "officially" record my weight on my tracking spreadsheet each Tuesday.  Yesterday, the numbers on my scale indicated that I have lost 15 pounds so far this year. So with 2 more weigh-ins left in the month I'm down 5 pounds since Groundhog's Day. My goal of 10 pounds lost for the month of February is still within reach. 

The activities I am now required to do at my new part time job will help my cause as well.  

There is a reason I have chosen Tuesday as the day to record my weight each week. That is the day of the week my birthday falls on this year. If I am able to lose weight at the pace I want to, I will reach my goal weight on my birthday. 

But for now I want to take a moment and acknowledge how proud I am of what I've lost so far this year. It could be considered egotistical to pat myself on the back. But with all the difficulties I've had controlling my weight over the years any steps in the right direction needs to be heralded as an achievement. 

No comments: