Friday, February 21, 2014

TWIL

Last Friday was the last time I mentioned Lego on this log. But that doesn't mean that nothing Lego related has happened. Today I'm going to catch up. So here are the stories that comprised for me "This Week In Lego." 

The first issue of the week happened when I saw actress Allison Brie on the Jimmy Kimmel Live show on Monday night. Brie does the voice of the character "Unikitty" in the Lego Movie. 

During her interview Brie mentioned something I'd never heard before. She claimed that it was stressed to her by the "experts" consulting on the movie that the plural of Lego is "Lego". 

I immediately became alarmed. If this is true I have been very wrong and didn't know it. For an answer to this issue, I went to the one source that would help me discover if I had to change my ways. 

There are a lot of places to go to find out about Lego on the internet. There are websites, blogs, You Tube channels and more. 

The definitive answer I found to the plurality question was this. When referring to the company name or branding their products, "Lego" is the proper pluralization. Example 1: The Lego company is headquartered in the country of Denmark. 
Example 2: This house I built is made from 250 Lego bricks. 

But when referring to the bricks or other elements that are included in Lego sets they can be referred to as "Legos."
The reasoning behind this is the same as referring to a pair of Apple computers as "two Macs" or a voice over  announcer on a car commercial proclaiming "the 2014 Hondas are here." 

So that resolves that temporary minor Lego dilemma, at least for me. If you want to read more about it, here's an article I found during my research. It helped me a lot. 
Lego or Legos: Does It Matter?

As I wrote about yesterday, I have started cleaning out our storage rooms. While sorting through some of my stuff I found these models of a pair of Pixar characters. 


   
I credit these Lego versions of Mater and Lightening McQueen with starting my current Lego obsession. I bought them 2 or 3 years ago because they were "Disney" not licensed Lego products. 

But I had so much fun putting them together that it reminded me how much fun I had playing with plastic building bricks when I was a kid. The idea of getting a Lego set and playing with them again was something I thought I might like to try. 

Then during that Christmas shopping season I bought this Lego "Bricks & More" set from Sam's Club.   


Still a bit embarrassed that as a grown man I had bought a kid's toy set for myself I put it away in my closet for a while. 

Then in the fall of 2012 while working at Sitel call center in Glasgow I was allowed to bring things into work to occupy  the time in between calls. With my supervisor's approval I brought Lego bricks. 

I got the Lego set 6166 out of storage and took it to work. As they say, the rest is history. 


The last thing I want to mention in my "This Week In Lego" report is something that may seem irrational but I have thought it out.  

On January 30th I reported the disaster that had befallen my just completed expert VW build. Since then I have kept the model in a safe place before trying to fix it. 

Finally, this week I decided that it was time to get back to the VW Lego project. So I made a drastic decision. 

I took apart the Volkswagen camper for the purposes of putting it together a second time. It is all in pieces except for the roof/tent assembly. I kept that together because I had an amazingly difficult time putting together the first time. 

There are a couple of reasons for my decision to take it apart. The main reason being that I couldn't find a way to follow the instructions to repair the damage I had done to it. I was still upset that I had mishandled the completed model. 

Putting it together from step one would only be the only way I would feel vindicated for my mistake. It should be a little easier and a lot more fun the 2nd time around.  

So there you have my "This Week In Lego" report. Don't worry, I probably won't be doing one every week. But given the comment my cousin, Lee, made about this past Monday's post I felt that Lego was a reliable "go to" subject when nothing else came to mind. Thanks Lee. 

No comments: