Sunday, March 9, 2014

53 1/2

Today I am 53 1/2 years old. Adding the "and a half" to your age is usually something only done by young children, teenagers looking toward being old enough to drive or those waiting to turn 21. But as chronologically cognisant as I am, today, the halfway point on the calendar between my birthdays, is significant to me. Six months from today is my 54th birthday. 

Right now I have only one goal I am determined to achieve  by September 9, 2014. I set that goal last year during our weekend vacation at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge,TN. 

The main reason I wanted to go visit Dollywood, in September 2013, was to ride their newest highly acclaimed attraction; America's first winged coaster, Wild Eagle. 



But as it turned out I couldn't ride it because I could not fit into the seat. That was very disappointing and embarrassing. I decided that day that by the time my birthday came around again I would return to Dollywood after losing enough weight to be able to ride Wild Eagle. That's still tops on my birthday goal list.   

As I look back on the first 6 months of my 54th year, I see a lot of changes. The change in my work situation has been the major issue. I'm still working on finding the right path in regard to that area of my life. My effort to get healthy and lose weight is still a top priority as well. 

As I look to the next 6 months leading up to my personal chronological benchmark. I anticipate a spring and summer full of many hours of riding my bike and walking my dog. But due to the pain I've been experiencing in my left knee lately I don't know just how much of that is going to happen. 

Without a doubt the thing I've accomplished in the last 6 months that I am most proud of and have enjoyed the most is playing the ukulele. 

I have essentially taught myself to play using e-books, You Tube videos and websites as resources. My personal music catalog includes old time standards, children's songs, pop songs from the 60's and 70's, hymns, and worship songs. 

I have played for my granddaughter (which was and continues to be a major inspiration in my determination to learn to become a better player. Read my January 2, 2014 post for more), for the kids at the school where I work, and for both the children and adults in church. 

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an accomplished ukulele player but I can play enough to be at least a little entertaining. Playing and singing alone in my living room is one of the most relaxing and therapeutic things I do these days.

Finally, in the next 6 months I want to make a defining decision in regard to the place of ventriloquism in my life. God been speaking to me and showing me how I need to deal with that a lot recently. More on that in future posts. 

But I just had to make mention of today, March 9, and it's significance to me in regard to helping me to keep moving forward. 







No comments: