Saturday, March 22, 2014

Muppet Movie Review


Last Fall while we were at the movies with our friends, Mark and Patty, we saw the first trailer for the new Muppets movie. Then and there Mark and I agreed that when it was released in March 2014 we would go to see it together. That's what we did this afternoon. 

This post is my review of the movie. I promise that it's spoiler free. 

Now I wasn't going into this movie with the most optimistic of expectations. From all the publicity and previews I'd seen I wasn't expecting much. 

The plot seemed too close to "The Great Muppet Caper." The Muppets were once again going to be pawns in a plot to steal valuable jewels. Only this time is was the infamous crown jewels of England instead of the "Baseball Diamond."  

The other story line that had an "evil" frog who looks just like Kermit and takes the head frogs place is something right out of TV of the 60's. Just look through the episodes of Gilligan's Island, The Addams Family, or I Dream Of Jeannie, you'll find shows with evil lookalikes. Nothing original about it at all. 

The third element that convinced me that I was not going to enjoy this new Muppet movie were the human co-stars. Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, and Ty Burrell are among the most popular comedic actors today but I don't think they are the least bit funny. I don't like them and don't think they are funny at all. 

So to say I was a skeptic about "The Muppets Most Wanted" would be an understatement. 

The opening of the film got my attention in a surprising way. I settled in thinking, "maybe I will enjoy this after all." 

But then then came the rest of the movie and the outrageous plots kicked in. There were funny moments and gags that made me laugh or smile along the way.

There is one funny celebrity cameo moment in this movie but otherwise the rest are just gratuitous. Some are even unnecessary. Also, there was one very important thing missing in this movie: The Muppets. 

There is no doubt that this is Kermit's movie. He has a lot of screen time. Miss Piggy, Walter, and Fozzie Bear, and Animal have important roles. But the rest of the gang really lack screen time and are just sort of along for the ride. 

The ending of the film also lacks the originality and outrageous antics we've come to expect from The Muppets.    

I can't write anything else without giving away spoilers. The last Muppet movie was a sentimental favorite. Their return to the screen was so compelling that I went to see it 3 times in the theater. 

For the purpose of keeping my Muppets movie collection intact I will probably buy the home video when it comes out. For me this movie was a "once and done" experience.

If you consider yourself a Muppet fan you should go see Muppets Most Wanted. Anytime you have the opportunity to see Kermit and friends on the big screen you should but don't expect it to be the best Muppet movie ever. It's just the latest. 



   










No comments: