Monday, March 24, 2014

TWIL #4

Lego once again played a big part in my week. I went to the elementary school to last Wednesday and Friday to help with the classes for 5th and 6th graders. 

Wednesday, I had the 5th graders inventory their kits to become familiar with the specific bricks and specialty parts they will be working with. Friday's class with the 6th graders was a little rushed due to some special activities going on that day. 

I spent the 30 minutes we did have showing them the videos I took at the Brick World expo I went to on March 8th. Next week both classes will begin actually building their models from their kits. 

When it comes to my building from my Lego kits, this week took on an international flavor. 

One of the Lego series I collect is the Architecture series. It began a couple of years ago when I bought the Willis Tower kit while in Chicago on vacation. Since then I have gotten the Seattle Space Needle, Empire State Building, The White House (Paula and I built that one together), and Rockerfeller Center. 

According to their website, Lego.com, the series celebrates the past, present, and future of architecture; exploring the worlds of engineering and construction.  

The company's aim is to inspire the minds of all ages as they learn about the iconic structures of the world. 

I decided to collect just the kits of the domestic buildings. But then last year I saw two new landmarks that were added to the series.  I have bought them and will add them to my display. 

This past week I built one of them. The world famous landmark in London, England, Big Ben. 



Now the name "Big Ben" is actually the name of the bell that is part of the clock housed inside the tower. The tower is known as the "Elizabeth Tower"; named in honor of the queen in 2012. But the structure as a whole can also be called "Big Ben". 

The other kit I worked on this week is the motorbike that's the first of 3 models that can be built with Creator kit, 31018. 



Also this week, I started working on my Volkswagen Bus Camper again. I'm going to take it slow like the last time. Once it is finished I will post pictures and blog about the experience. 

Every since I've started building with Lego bricks back in 2012, the most common comment I've gotten from adults has been a negative one. It is a story about the pain of stepping on one that was left on the floor with their bare foot. 
  
With that in mind I have tried my best to make sure that this never happens at my house. But this past weekend, Paula stepped on a 1X4 black brick on the living room rug. 


Sorry Honey. That's the first time it's happened in two years.  I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

And that's "This Week In Lego" for this time. 

No comments: