Thursday, April 10, 2014

Battle For Bike Balance

I have yet to take my first bike ride of the Spring. As the weather becomes consistently warmer each day, I will soon make pedaling through the grove a daily habit. At the very least I can ride it to the school where I work.  

 The harsh winter season took it's toll on our roof, blowing off shingles, and our grill (see my January 24, 2014 post). But it also left it's mark on my bike. 

Because I never put it in storage, the bike the spent winter out in the open secured by combination lock to one of our carport posts. If you look at the right side of the picture in that January 24 post you will see my bike out in the open. 

When I inspected my bike in early March, I dis-covered it had a rusted chain and gears as well as random rust spots on the fenders and frame. That's what happens when a bike spends the winter out in the elements.

I had the parts replaced and the bike restored. Once I did that I purchased a bike cover. Just to make sure it's protected from the weather in the future. 

I really like the cover. It makes me feel better about keeping the bike on the carport. Only problem with it is that it prevents me from wrapping the cable & lock around the frame. I had to put it through the spokes near the bottom of the wheels so the cover would fit over the bike. 

This caused a problem with keeping the bike up right and balanced on it's kickstand; especially when the wind was blowing. 

Over the last two weeks I've picked up my bike multiple times because it was blown over by the wind. It was frustrating me.  

I finally had the bike covered so it wasn't getting wet but the cover wouldn't allow it to be anchored to stay upright. 

After realizing that it wouldn't ever stay upright while on the carport I went to a "plan b". 

I got an old dog chain I had in storage and wrapped it around the frame. I then wrapped the other end of the chain to lower end of the wooden fence that borders our yard at the end of our carport. 


I then put the cable combination lock through the spokes just like before. 


The third step was to pull the cover over the entire bike and this completed the new set up. 


So now I don't have to worry about my bike falling over and can rest assured that it's secure and safe from the weather. 

I look forward to a great summer riding around my neighborhood. 

After losing to winter over the last few months it feels good to finally win at least one battle. The power of balance has shifted. Now let the exercise begin. 

No comments: