Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Most Popular T-Shirt

With the weather getting warmer its time to put away the heavier long sleeved shirts and start going lighter with my wardrobe. That means diving into my huge stash of t-shirts again. 

Now I used to be very obsessive about the t-shirts in my closet. These days not so much. I have lost track of exactly how many I have but I'd say it's close to 100. I mean I have 30 Major League Baseball shirts alone. Then there's those with Disney characters, advertising slogans, and my tourist t-shirts. Those are shirts I've bought in places I've gone on vacation. 

Then there's my novelty t-shirts with characters like Kermit the Frog, the Pillsbury Dough boy, Perry the Platypus, a Twinkie, and the Tootsie Pop owl on them. 

Yesterday I wore a t-shirt I bought when I still worked at the call center in Glasgow. It is a "slogan" t-shirt.  The printing on the front is a parody of a logo for a TV show. I wore it to the call center as a silent protest aimed toward both some of my supervisors, co-workers and the people I had to talk to on the phone all day. 

Every time I wear it the printed shirt never fails to get at least one or two random reactions from people who see it. "Cool shirt" or "I like your shirt" are the usual reactions I get. Yesterday was no exception. 


 Here's the t-shirt that's most popular with the public. 

The short but popular statement on the front seems to be something that a lot of people agree with and wish they could express. 

Of course, everyone has to deal with "idiots" in their lives and its extremely subjective. But as long as people have to deal with other people; you do have to deal with the "stupid people"s of the world. Comic Bill Engvall built his career on pointing them out. 

My t-shirt simply states something that seemingly appeals to a lot of people because it addresses a common feeling about one of the pitfalls of life. Being force to deal with "not so bright" people. 

That what makes my C.S.I t-shirt the one that's a real conversation starter. It's both a declaration and a warning at the same time. It warns everyone that my reaction to their stupidity may not be met with complete understanding. 

I also have another t-shirt that gets almost as much response as a the CSI shirt. It reads: "Just because you can talk doesn't mean you should." Yet another shot at those with less than a functional portion of intelligence and or tact. I like that shirt because in a simple and polite way as possible it tells those warned by the CSI shirt to just "shut up."

My granddaughter may be the only one who reacts when I wear my favorite Mickey Mouse t-shirt. Perhaps no one will say anything when I put on my New York Yankees 2009 World Championship shirt. 

But whenever I wear my CSI t-shirt I can always count on at least one person coming up to me and saying, in their own way, "Yeah, I'm right there with ya, pal".

  

No comments: