Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Break Day In Nashville Part 1

The 4th day of my Spring break started off with a sharp metal hook scraping against my incisor. It was not yet 9AM and I was in the examination chair of my dentist, Dr. Tim Whitaker. Shannon, the hygienist was cleaning my teeth. 

It's a very casual experience because I've been going to the Westin Dental Group at least twice a year for the last 13 years. They keep my smile looking good. 

Dr. Whitaker was directly responsible for resurrecting my interest in Walt Disney World back in 2001. I'd tell you that story but its already been written in my 2001 yearbook. 

After my appointment was over, it was still relatively early. Since I was already 25 miles further south than if I had still been at home I decided to continue south for a solo trip to Nashville. 

There were a couple of things I wanted to do there but mostly one important thing for a special occasion that's coming up in a couple of weekends from now. 

My first stop was going to be the Sam Ash music store on Gallitan Pike in Madison, TN just north of Nashville.  

I discovered this store back in 2008 when we had dinner at the Olive Garden restaurant that's next to it after Michael & Heather's wedding. I've been back to it many times since. 

I got to the store around 10:30; a little earlier than I expected. I found out that it didn't open until 11. 

To kill some time I went to the nearby Toys R Us store. I spent half an hour walking round the store and looking at their Lego stock. 

It was kind of cool to spend time in that store because it was set up like the Bowling Green store used to be before it was remodeled a few years ago. Kind of like traveling back in time. 

This was the first time I'd been to Sam Ash since I've been actually playing the ukulele. I wanted to check out their stock and see if there was a uke I'd like to upgrade to. 

From what I saw I decided that my next one needs to be a bit bigger. I need more space on the fret board. I'd also like to be able to plug it into an amplifier as well. I'm going to look around at other places before deciding on my next instrument.    
I was very disappointed in the choice of ukulele song books at the store. Most of them were learn to play books. Nothing I really need or want at this point. 

After leaving the music store I headed on down I-65 exiting onto Briley Parkway. My destination was my favorite Nashville spot, Opry Mills Mall. 

As has become the norm for me, I parked outside the food court entrance. I usually try to go to see a movie while on my solo trips. The multiplex there is one of my favorites theaters and there's an IMAX. But today there wasn't anything I wanted to see. 

With my left knee bothering me to the point where I decided against my typical walking tour of the entire mall. I only stopped at my two favorite stores: The Lego Store and Disney Outlet Store. 

I got a couple of things at the Lego store but I'll wait to write about those in the next TWIL report. 

At the Disney store I always shop on the right side because that's where the discounted stuff usually is. 

I found some cool collectible figures, a gift of comfort for my wife (with Aria's favorite Disney character on it) and a special present for my granddaughter. Here's a picture of that gift and the rest of the stuff. Don't tell Aria what Papa has for her. It's an Easter present.  



After picking up lunch in a "to-go" box from Panda Express in the food court I left Opry Mills. 

My next stop was the real reason for my trip. I programmed the GPS and headed toward the South East section of Music City. The decision to explore the curiosity I had about this new place turned out to be better than expected. 

I'll tell you about that next time in Part 2 of this blog series. Come back to tomorrow. 













No comments: