Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Planting Trees And Memories

This past Saturday afternoon my son, James called around noon and asked two questions: Are you going to be home this afternoon?"and "Do you have a shovel?" We answered "yes" to both. 

Soon James, Brandi, Aria and a couple of special surprises arrived at our house. With shovel in hand, James began working in the yard in front of our house. 

It was a beautiful warm day and perfect for working and being outside. 

While James was busy digging, Paula was working at weeding out all the small sprouts that had come up in the rock garden beds. I had a different and much more important job. I got to play with Aria. 

I watched her as she explored the stones  in the front beds and discovered the lawn ornaments. Here she is petting the stone dog that this boy statue is holding.  


You can see James working in the top center of this picture. 
Finally after James was finished, we had a pair of new trees in the corner of our front yard. 


The trees are dogwoods; one white and one pink. Paula loves these kind of trees and so do I. Our hope is that over the next decade or so they will intertwine with each other as they grow. 

After the yard work was done it was time to go into the house and visit for a while. 

Aria picked out a DVD and her Papa put in her favorite video: Walt Disney World Sing Along. It features some classic folk songs sung by a group of Disney characters and some kids. The entire video takes place both the Fort Wilderness campground area. It was released in 2005.  This is a shot of a scene in the video. 



Since she likes the music so much I'm trying to learn to play the songs on my ukulele. Also, I look forward to one day actually taking her to Fort Wilderness and seeing if she recognizes it. 

As we sat in the living room visiting, Aria and I shared our customary chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bar. It very well just might be the last time we share one. I'm sure some time in the near future "Miss Independent" will want to eat it all by herself.  

Since they were going to be staying for a while, James decided that he was going to put together a Star Wars Lego model that I got him for Easter. It was still in his truck. So I went out and got if for him. It took him about 15 minutes to put it together. He was proud of his accomplishment. 



Here's a close up of his small version of the classic Star Wars icon: The Millennium Falcon.



Since James was assembling his Lego model I decided that I would sit in my recliner across the room from him and work on my model. I had already opened the box, cut open the bags, and put the pieces in plastic bags. They were in my blue storage case. 

I leaned back and put the case on my lap. Paula was sitting next to me in her recliner with Aria on her lap. They were playing a game with cows on Paula's Ipad. 

My actions got Aria curious and she moved over next to me. The look on her face told me she was very interested in what her Papa was doing. 

Her reaction to my opening the case was something I never expected. She drew in a breath and in a true spirit of amazement let out great big "Wow!!" It was so totally unexpected that everyone in the room laughed.  

Now I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of building Lego kits over the past year and a half. But all of the models I've built this one was that brought my granddaughter and me together. 

Of course, I had to keep her away from the small pieces so she wouldn't put them in her mouth. I explained to Aria that she could watch me put the model together and be my helper at the same time. But she had to wait and watch while I put the parts together. A hard thing for a two year old to do but she was so fascinated she did it. 

When I put the first dozen pieces or so together I let her hold them while I worked on the next session. She really liked that and stayed close to me anxious for me to add the next part of the model.  

Her attention span lasted just a few minutes short of the time it took me to complete the build. By the time the last piece was in place she was back on Nana's lap watching cartoons on the Ipad. 

But that doesn't mean that she didn't smile when I showed her what Papa had created out of the things that made her go "Wow!" Here's what I made for her. 



Bonding with Aria by putting together Lego bricks may have been a one time thing but I won't know that until I try it again. 

Soon it came time for James and Brandi to leave to go to a birthday party. Our afternoon with our granddaughter and her "Mommy" and "Daddy" came and end. But it will never be forgotten. 

For years to come Paula will be able to look out the door or window of our home into the front yard and see the beautiful dogwoods that James planted as a gift just for her.  



Every time I look out and see them I will be reminded of the first time I literally  "Wow"ed my granddaughter. 










  

No comments: