Thursday, June 12, 2014

My New Office

Many people have memories of the fun they had while visiting their grandparents when they were growing up. No so much for me. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that my grandfather was already 62 years old and on his 3rd marriage when I was born. 

But the one, and probably the only, fun thing to do when I went to visit my grandfather's house was play with an Etch-A-Sketch. Looking back I realize just how strangely out of place a child's toy like that was in that house. I can only assume that somehow the toy appeared at their house so that when any of their many grandchildren came to visit there was something to do other than watch Lawrence Welk or Gunsmoke on TV. 

Those were the only two shows I really remember ever being on at my Grandfather's house. Although I do sort of remember watching an episode of "Lost In Space" there one time. But I digress. 

The classic toy was stored away in the corner of the living room inside a small dark wooden roll top desk. I remember the feeling of anticipation as I pushed up that sliding cover to reveal the only thing that would be the least bit entertaining to a kid my age visiting my grandfather.  

My point is through that experience, I grew an affinity for roll top desks. I have always wanted one but never had the reason or means to get one. 

For the last 12 years as I've walked past the windows of antique stores that line a section of Main Street here in "the grove" I have seen roll top desks for sale. 

I have even gone inside and asked about them. Many of them were the same size and style (I believe they are referred to as "Secretary desks") as the one that I remember from my Grandpap's house on Washington Street. 

My wife has been well aware of my desire to own a roll top desk for quite some time. Last month she told me that one of her Facebook friends had posted pictures of a rather large roll top desk that she wanted to sell. 

It was used and the price was rather significant. But it was in great shape and already assembled. My kind and gracious wife told me that since I've been wanting a roll top desk for so long this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get one. 

To make a long story short I bought the desk. It's a pretty heavy piece of furniture so, about a month ago James helped me bring it to the house in his pick up. It's been sitting in the back room waiting to be set up where it's going to be for the foreseeable future. 

I put wheel castors on it to make it easier to move around. That has turned out to be a good idea. Here's a picture of my the newest edition to the room that will eventually be my office/den. 




Yesterday, I finally moved it to where it is now and my computer up on it. 
 I really like it a lot. It's kind of like a dream come true. I never in all my life thought I'd ever have such a cool desk. 

As far as I'm concerned it's the best Father's Day gift my wife has gotten me. (Although, like home appliances and exercise equipment, she doesn't consider furniture a "gift" for someone). I will eventually use this new set up as the platform for setting up my in home recording studio for my future Rewind programs. 

But for now it's the latest thing in my house that makes me smile and lets me know that my wife loves me.  

No comments: