Thursday, August 14, 2014

In Memory Of Linda

Today's post is one that I'm writing with a heavy heart. Early yesterday morning, Wednesday August 13, 2014,Linda, my daughter-in-law, Brandi's mother, passed away. She was only 50 years old and had endured a long hard battle with cancer. 

But I would like to take today's post as my tribute to her life and celebrate the legacy of her daughters and 8 grandchildren. 

I didn't spend much time with Linda even though our children have been together for more than 10 years. But I do remember the last day I spent with her. In May of 2013, Linda went with Brandi, James, Aria, Paula, and me to the Louisville Zoo. 

Because she was in the midst of her fight at that time seeing her spend time with Aria that day will always be special to me. I know Aria will not remember it but I'm sure Linda made some special memories for herself that day. 

Here is a picture of Brandi, James, & Aria with Linda taken as we left the zoo that day. 


Ironically, I find it difficult to come up with the right words to express sorrow and empathy when someone loses a loved one. I can remember how sad and lost I felt when my parents. 

Brandi and her family's loss is especially sad to me because it is very close to the 15th anniversary of losing my dad. 
He had cancer as well. 

I want this post to be a comfort to James & Brandi or at the very least express how much I am hurting because they are hurting and I can't make that go away. But I'm not sure how much comfort this will bring them. 

Since music is a way I use to express myself a lot of the time, I want to end this post with the mention of a couple of songs I think are fitting for the moment. The first one is a link to a song by Patty Loveless that I thought of when I heard that Linda was in her final hours. 

How Can I Help You Say "Good-bye"?

I like this song because I can connect the first two verses to events of my life. From now, when I hear the 3rd verse I will think of Brandi and how hard it was to lose her mom. 

Lastly, I want to close this post with the lyrics to a Vince Gill song that was part of Paula's dad's funeral. Given the struggle she so bravely fought over the last years of her life, it is my tribute to Linda as well.

                 "Go Rest High On That Mountain"

I know your life
On earth was troubled
And only you could know the pain
You weren't afraid to face the devil
You were no stranger to the rain

Go rest high on that mountain
Because your work on earth is done
Go to heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and Son

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
We gathered round your grave to grieve
I wish I could see the angels faces
When they hear your sweet voice sing

Go rest high on that mountain
Because your work on earth is done
Go to heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and Son

Good-bye Linda. Thank you for raising Brandi to be the fine young wife, mother, and daughter-in-law she is. Paula and I promise to watch over her for you.  

No comments: