Saturday, October 25, 2014

Comedy, Fire And A New Direction

Haven't really had anything new to write about lately. But a blog's life blood is content. So it's time for another entry. Here are some of the "factors" that have been part of life for me over the last 10 days.

Last Thursday I made my 2nd trip to Nashville in the month of October. I made the trip worth it by taking care of several things while I was there. 

I went to the Guitar Center music store and Performance Studios costume store. Both are in south Nashville only 3 miles away from the venue that was the reason I had gone to Music City; Zanies Comedy Club. 

I went there to see the Thursday night early show because Jeff Allen was the headliner. 

Jeff has been one of my favorite "clean" comics for a few years now. This year I became even more of a fan after I started listening to his "An Examined Life" podcast. 

That's his internet program that he talks about his life as a Christian, a comic and his 27 years of sobriety. I encourage you to give it a listen on I-Tunes. 

I sat at a table at the very edge of the stage. Here's a shot of my POV for the show. 

In addition to the price of the ticket Zanies has a requires a "two item minimum" per customer. My two items were a diet coke and a chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks combo platter. It was good but not great. 

Now I was there was to see Jeff for the first time in 3 years but I also got another pleasant surprise. The guy who opened for him is also one of my favorite clean comics, Paul Aldrich. 

Paul does musical comedy while playing the guitar. He's very funny and an amazing, I mean AMAZING guitar player. Because the focus is on his comedy I don't think he gets enough credit for his talent on the guitar. But I appreciate it. 

I saw Paul the last time I was at Zanies a couple of years ago. He was very funny then but I can easily say he's moved his comedy to the next level. He is a better comic now than he ever was. 

Jeff came on stage and did about an hour. He did a combination of some of my favorite bits and new stuff. He was very funny. Because I've been listening to his podcast I felt a little more connected with him. It was kind of like watching a friend perform. 

After the show Jeff was out in the club greeting guests. I got to shake his hand and tell him that I enjoyed his show and listen to his podcast. "Oh you're the one" was his response. 

Here's a picture of the two of them. Jeff is on the left and Paul (who looks to me like he could be Steve Martin's brother) is on the right.

Both of these guys live in the Nashville area. I would love to have the opportunity to meet and interview either or both of them someday. 

If you want to find out more about these two talented Christian comedians click on these links to their websites: Jeff Allen Or Paul Aldrich


Last Saturday night Paula and I got to do one of my favorite things that happen each year around this time. Every fall Paula's brother, Woodie, and his wife, Gayle, host a get together at their house in Rockfield a small town about 20 minutes west of Bowling Green. 

The centerpiece of this event is a good old fashioned campfire. In their spacious backyard our hosts set bales of hay in a circle around the fire and all the guest sit and enjoy the warmth and do their best to avoid the smoke. We could roast hot dogs and marshmellows or just enjoy a lot of great company. 

It sounds pretty simple but its something I really like. I just love sitting around watching the fire burn. The extra "kick" the flames get when you throw in a pine cone is fun to watch. It's just so fascinating for me. 

We are invited to this event each fall but hadn't been able to go in a couple of years. This year Paula and I took Aria with us while James & Brandi went to see a movie.

This made our evening a bit different than in the past. You can't exactly get a 2 year old to sit and just enjoy a fire. Other than the few minutes she spend sitting on the ground eating a hot dog; Aria spent the evening exploring Gayle & Woodie's yard. Paula and I took turns being her "guide" but it was mostly Paula. 

After the movie, James and Brandi came out to the house to get Aria and visit for a while. It was a very enjoyable evening. 

Although I've become rather discouraged in regard to finding a job I still have to keep trying. Last week I filled out 3 more applications for jobs I'm sure I am more than qualified for. I didn't even get called for an interview. 

Although I did have a part time job with the Community Ed After School program for 3 months at the start of this year, I have for all intents and purposes been unemployed for close to a year. 

I really can't tell you how frustrating it is that no one will hire me. I've never been without a full time job for this long since I graduated from high school. 

Perhaps I need to reevaluate where I am in regard to employment. It may be time to start looking at my vocational future through a different lens. It might be time to change directions. If no one will give me a job perhaps I need to create my own. 

It's something that has happened a countless number of times over the history of this nation. America is the land of opportunity. A parade of examples to prove that fact comes through my very living room each week on one of my favorite TV shows, Shark Tank. 

Now I'm not talking about inventing the next million dollar idea. I'm just talking about taking what I know I can do and make it something other people want so I can acquire some income.  

I could go on but what I've got to write about the possibilities and my options warrants a post of it's own. Look for that one in the near future. 























No comments: